.

Nicola & Simon | Zombie Apocalypse Engagement Shoot - 21st May 2012

By Nicola Jude

ZOMBIE LOVE

It all started with a proposal……A diamond ring and a perfect meal……and then we noticed something wasn’t quite right. The ambling hordes on the tube journey seemed, well, MORE shuffling than usual. 

Walking home down the quiet streets, past the familiar landmarks the world seemed a little too still and then we saw the first one….Slow, shuffling and heading straight for us. 

There was only one place to hide, the abandoned factory. Kicking our way through the windows, tripping over rubble as we ran, it felt safe for a moment. Then we heard an unmistakable sound. The scrapping feet of the undead, dragging their bodies towards us.

We ran again. We tried every trick in the book but what they lacked in speed they made up for in persistence. Down the corridors, up the stairs, higher and higher. We’d seen enough horror films to know where this would end – the roof. 

No way up, no way back down. They could have my brains but they sure as hell weren’t getting the ring. So that’s how it ended. They took me as their own and I took him with me. 

He gave his life and heart so we could be together always. My beloved and I, a windy roof, a zombie army, a fight to the death - united for eternity as the undead.

At least I still had the ring…………………….

Thank you to Dan Marbaix the master of Urban Exploration Photography for his help on the shoot. To the amazingly talented Elbie Bayley who made everyones zombie dreams come true with her makeup skills and thank you to those at Gilette Corner who let us create zombie chaos at their site.

And for the incredible zombie army Louize Small, Yvette Crompton, Rebecca Williamson, Mischief of London, James Bailes, Martin Packman, Katherine Forsyth and Jeremy Forsyth

And of course the stars of the show Nicola and Simon

'When I saw that Rock n Roll Bride and Rebecca were offering competition to win an engagement shoot I put my brain-gears into motion.

To be honest, engagement shoots had never really appealed either Simon or I before. In fact, I would almost go as far as to say he was against it… Right up until the moment I mentioned zombies army. We’ve always been a fan of Zombie films and once we got rid of the idea of a typically ‘romantic’ photo shoot the ideas seemed to flow a easily.

A quick Google on the interweb confirmed that we weren’t the first people to have this idea but we decided that we wanted to go further than anyone else. Not a solitary Zombie for us we wanted a ZOMBIE HORDE!

Luckily Simon is a Graphic Designer and Animator so he is used to drawing up story boards. He sketched a few ideas and classic shots that we sent off to Rebecca and she added some great ideas of her own. The next challenge fell to me – where the hell were we going to shoot this?

For the past 8 years I’ve worked for Sky News and every day I drive past what used to be the Gillette factory, I have a fascination with disused old buildings so I’ve always been curious as to what’s inside.. The last Lady Shave rolled off the production line and the plans to convert hotel never quite happened. I chose the direct route, walked up to the door, knocked and asked how we would go about using the place. They were surprisingly helpful and said they had no problem with us and a few zombies rocking up! It turns out that sometimes the direct approach is the best, if you don’t ask, you don’t get!

The day itself was great. Lovely Elbie helped us with the make-up and Rebecca mobilized a few of her friends to be our undead army. I can’t believe how many people took the day of work just to help us. We had the best fun ever running around the huge factory, jumping over dead pigeons and swinging axes about. We couldn’t wait to see the pictures and when we did we were stunned. Rebecca had done an awesome job! I love the fact that in years to come we can show our kids pictures of us being kick-ass.'

(Thanks Nicola for the amazing words)

























































































0 comments :

Post a Comment